Monday 18 March 2019

SB3: Manifesto Development

Continuing from my manifesto initial draft, I figured that putting my thoughts into themes and topics would be the best idea in order for me to think of sentences which I think sums up my ethics and principles as a designer. I also thought of creating the manifesto as a poem. Much like my presentation it has a storytelling element as well as communicate to the audience is a more interesting way.

Topics 
  • Advertising - design thats expressive and reflective of the product. Not necessarily prioritising consumerism. Audience more design literate
  • Connections / Networking - Just like what Rick Cho has told me in the interview with him. It's important to keep an equal role between people you collaborate with. Wilfulness to learn and exchange knowledge and skills.
  • Self-identity - Going at your own pace and not worrying about having a certain style. be versatile, not having a style is a disadvantage but an advantage.
Poem Draft:

"Learn from people. An hour's worth tutorial for you, may be a 5 minute job to some people."
"Go at your own pace, this ain't a race"
"Not having a style, is a style. As ironic as it may be."
"Versatility is key, not having a style"

"Go at your own pace, designing isn't a race.
  Neither is not having a style an 'Achilles heel',
  but it's a skill. 

 Learn from people. 
 Observe
 Talk
 When you're left with a blank stare,
 STOP
 Get some fresh air.
This is going to be a rollercoaster.
CTRL+S"

Thoughts & Reflection: 

I think having it as a poem like this is very effective as it creates visual imagery in our heads through the story telling aspect of it, and is straightforward without being too formal like or too simple like a list. As it is a personal manifesto, I thought having it as a poem also makes it personal to me, like I'm talking to myself. But at the same time, it's also relatable to other people, especially in the course, so in a sense it's other exclusive and inclusive and can be interpreted internally by the audience/readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment