Monday 22 October 2018

Manchester Trip




The Manchester trip today was quite fun and insightful, I particularly enjoyed the Withworth exhibition and the place itself. The William Kentridge animation '2nd Hand Reading' was something that I quite enjoyed. Although, to be honest I didn't get the whole context of the animation, I enjoyed the atmosphere of the film and how the drawing and erasures he created for the create the film captured a mood which intrigues viewers. To add to this the use choice of music also adds to the atmosphere of the animation. The typography used was quite simplistic however it connotes the same characteristics with the different geometrical shapes that pop up during the animation, balancing the flow between the rough drawings and the precise and colourful shapes in sequence. 


The overall place - The Withworth was also really interesting. Particularly the use of space in the gallery where sections had designated areas for children to roam around alongside paingtings and drawings was really interesting to see as I haven't really seen that anywhere. Also the way the Thick Time exhibition was set out was perfect with interacting with the viewers. The way the tables and chairs where set out to the way the lamps where set up to set a mood for the viewers to sit down and read the Kentridge books - their use of space within the gallery was really effective of making the viewers want to sit down and interact with the gallery pieces. Also, details like the way the chairs are set out also makes the viewers feel like they are part of the experience, like when I went into the Thick Time piece where the chairs where set out around the animation, it made me feel closer to the animation and with the animation and music together made me kind of empathise with the animation and made me feel kind of weird and emotional in a way. Highlighting the animation with a dark room and the centre mechanism was also really effective as t made me feel like I just came out of some experience that I've never really felt before. 

Outside the gallery where also some interesting sculptures which I thought where also quite unique in a way as it interacts with the nature- particularly the silver tree sculpture around the side of the gallery. I thought that it kind of in a way fit with nature although it's also quite irregularly geometric in a way giving it a slight raw feel just like the real trees amongst it.

Overall, I really enjoyed the trip and the whole atmosphere of the places that we visited and the city of Manchester as well. Even on the way to the galleries that we went to the city was also filled with quite artistic nature and historical buildings, as well as little niche cafes and restaurants which we enjoyed visiting as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment