Saturday 14 October 2017

PP2 - Finding Local Typography

In this seminar we were tasked to go around Leeds and find local typography. We mostly found handwritten type especially in local pubs and shops. We then had to select two of our best types and submit it to typesetting.co which is a website that showcases local Leeds typography.

These are the two typography I found that I submitted on the website:


I chose this photo as I thought that the fonts and colours used resembled something from the 50's and how appearance was more important than the product itself. I also liked how it was doe on a mirror and on a reflective surface which may be unusual for something that is found in a town market. However, I think it didn't get chosen as it may be too generic and it does not directly link to anything in Leeds.


Similarly, my second submission was taken form the market at a bakery stand, but is a handwritten sign. Again, I liked the way it was layed out and composed on the page and how it was posted up on the wall ad the paper resembling a rolling pin. Maybe it did not get chosen as it's too simple and the typography isn't really eye-catching or interesting enough.

From my research around Leeds I also have three other favourites from the photos that I have taken.

  • For me it feels very nostalgic and perfectly captures the vibe that a music hall would have through the choice of typography which looks very approachable and friendly; also I like how the typefaces are made out of lights which give it a very indie and cozy vibe. 


  • I like this photography as the serif font gives a traditional yet contemporary vibe. As it's made with silver metal and the faded/broken number '3' along with the black/grey colours it looks 'sophisticatedly rundown'.

  • Unlike the other two this typography was made free-hand which I think gives it a raw feel and I like how they cleverly wrote the 'G' on the ground instead of cramming it on the space which also give the typography some wit and an 'idgaf' attitude.

                     


No comments:

Post a Comment