Monday 26 November 2018

SB1: Reply from Rick Cho

Today, I got a reply back from Rick Cho regarding the questions that I have sent him from last week. I was really surprised by his reply and was very thankful as he gave such sincere and detailed answers, which really gave me inspiration for my own practice and fresh knowledge and insight into him as an individual practitioner and his practice.

As I wanted to know more about his practice in relation to the music industry as well as collaborative work between other creatives and artists, I think I gathered really insightful things about Cho's practice which I was really curious about. In particular I was really curious about his use of collage art in particular and how he's used this tool in his practice. I've asked him how he decides when to produce literal or more subliminal pieces of design and he has mentioned how "(I) prefer a literal visualization approach. Collage art is a mixture of incongruity and humor. It already has that subliminal, chaotic imagery..." Looking at his designs, I have interpreted some of them as quite subliminal through their abstract nature, therefore I've immediately thought of them as quite minimal but thought provoking designs enticing me more to listen to the music while looking at the designs. Cho also repeatedly mentioned the importance of "visual communication between an artist and a listener" which struck me as his main goal as an album cover designer. To add to that, he also said how "every interpretation is sensible and meaningful". I really liked this as I think especially with cover art designs it's always easy to just stick the name and face of the artist on and the design ends there, however Cho uses collage art effectively in order to communicate to the audience the song and artist whilst bringing in the audiences imagination into it and engaging them to look and listen at the same time and "discover their stories through my (his) artwork".

Another point was, his communication and collaboration with the client and other creative, especially as he works with clients who are also creative minded and have their own specific styles I wanted to know how he balances this to his own. Cho mentioned how it can be good when clients have their certain aesthetic and vision, though pushing their own ideas makes it quite hard. He also said asking lots of questions and bringing out the clients character is a good way in creating a balance as he "catch key-points and make a backbone of artwork". I found this really interesting as I think he has found being quite friendly whilst still gathering information from the client as a good way to balance between the two. Also the fact that, his clients also have their own creative mindset and not just companies who have strict rules and format means that he can be quite free and leeway in the art direction, at the same time balancing with the artists'. 



I was also really curious as to how he's been working with Jay Park for a long time, and made me realise that having contacts and connections is really helpful within the industry and knowing and working with great people can help you in being recognised and known. 

The back end of my questions were more geared towards collaborations with other designers which was something that I want to get insight in mostly. His answer surprised me as he said, "I act as a chief creative officer but I never make a "relationship between subordinate and superiors" and I know in Korea the superior-subordinate culture is a very strong part of their working culture so I was really  surprised about his answer, but in a good way. I think having the free mindset and not thinking you're above everyone is key as it'll let you be open to learning new and different skills from people you meet. Furthermore, I also asked him how's it's like working collaboratively with international clients as I've read that he has worked with American artists like 6lack before. There were definite setback that he'd mentioned as mostly labels would want someone that works in the same country. So, for me this has kind of made me prepare in the future if I was to want to work internationally or collaborate with others, as it's evident that sometimes you can get denied work. 

In addition, I also asked a more personal question, if he could offer me advice on working within the music industry, as it's something that I definitely aspire to do. He was really kind and realistic in his response and I was really thankful as it given me inspiration and motivation to want to do it even more. - 
"Working with big names could be a good experience but it doesn't always lead you to a quality. If the result didn't reach your expectation, it will not quench your creative thirst. Do not hypnotise yourself by thinking you've done enough because you have worked with these names. Always remember why you started and do not lose your creative happiness."

Thoughts & Reflection

Overall, I think this interview went really well and better than I expected. I was really thankful for Rick Cho to reply to me with in-depth and lengthy replies to my questions despite it being via email and written. And, through his responses I have gathered lots of information and wisdom which will really help me in my own practice and learning about his processes also made me think of my own practice and my own practice, like the kind of style that I'm good at? How I could use this to create good design. How I approach people and woking more effectively when collaborating with other people. All in all, it has given me a much wider view of album cover art design and the relation between graphic design and music industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment