Monday 22 January 2018

Start of Self Branding

Today was the start of our self-branding brief. We did exercises which helped us identity ourselves and what other people may think k about us. It also helped us generate ideas of areas which we were confident and good in and also different areas outside of design that we enjoy. Doing this gave us a broader range of concepts and ideas to play with which we could incorporate in our own study and help us shape our self-branding identity.

I was struggling most of the time as I thought that I had a lot of ideas which didn't really seem to fit or link together which made me really confused. The ideas didn't really fit with design but were much more general and I didn't know how to incorporate it with design and my own practice. To get out of this struggle I decided to write general themes which I'm really interested in at the moment: collaging, awareness of different cultures, cooking, colour coordination, languages. I'm also very interested and have been a fan of Korean Pop for a long time and I thought I could reference it; particularly how groups are tied to a specific 'look'; they have their own logo's, group colours, fan name etc. Specifically, group 'Seventeen'  mostly composes, produces and choreographs their songs and dances and are hands on to the production of their music, unlike others. I also talked to Penny about how I could pull theses ideas together as I was struggling a lot of how I could do this.

  • Tying it all together with culture and 'making' (creating by hand).
  • "Making shit ideas look good"
  • "Making" - incorporating the fact that groups 'make' and cultivate their own songs and performances <-- link to cooking as well.
  • Creating things differently to how Kpop albums may look like e.g. digital designs, slick and formatted typography, so instead maybe trying hand drawn or hand made things from collages; cutting and sticking. 
  • Mixing different cultures together e.g. English culture and Korean Culture, Creating a collage of Leeds but making it look like a Kpop album, Branding Leeds in a way a kpop band may be branded and promoted. 
  • Rough
  • DPR +ian - director Dream Perfect Regime - was an idol and part of a Kpop group himself but now works as an art director and creates music video and album concepts for other artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment